Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Embrace Black Solidarity"? REALLY???

After watching Dr. Marc Lamont Hill recently on O'Reilly a short time ago, the race/black issue finally pushed me to write something. Dr. Hill and another commentator were discussing the media's coverage of the death of Michael Jackson. You can find a video clip here at Dr. Hill's website:
Below is the text of an email I sent to Dr. Hill a few days ago:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Hill,
Thank you for taking the time to read this email. I understand you are extremely busy and may not have the time to respond however, I look forward to the possibility.

In the essence of full disclosure, I provide the following information: I am 44 years old, white, college graduate (Accounting, Business Law), Republican and conservative. I always enjoy your appearances on O'Reilly. You are one of the few who can provide a clear concise view from the other side, both racially and politically, without using extremism to get your point across.

I have just viewed your appearance on O'Reilly concerning the 'racial dimensions of the media coverage of Michael Jackson's death'. What got my attention was when you used the words "embrace black solidarity". This concerns me in that while this great nation still has race issues to resolve, many of us have no time or energy to devote to the idea of race issues, because we do not any. Now, in 'my world', and because of my accounting nature, I prefer to see things as black or white, on or off, yes or no. Thankfully I have paid attention to society and learned that is not always the case. Thus, we all have some level of race issues. For some of us though, our issues are so minuscule, in essence they do not exist. It is my feeling, in that race does not concern me, that embracing black solidarity promotes divisiveness and increases racial tensions. I do not however believe that we, as a nation, need to become one people. We need some level of identity, some individuality.

Michael Jackson did much to break racial barriers. Jamie Foxx and Sean (P. Diddy) Combs did much to put those back in place. Yes, Michael Jackson was black, but he transcended his race and nationality. He belonged to the world, and just happened to be black. This leads to my reason for writing to you. Please explain to me how "embracing black solidarity" promotes the destruction of racial barriers, and increases unity as a nation on a common path.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am tired of it (race being an issue). It is not an issue to me, my wife (I would not have married her otherwise), my family or friends. Again, it is not to say it (race issues) does not exist, I am just tired of it coming up when it is not the real issue at hand. One of my favorite, recent, examples of it being a non-issue was during the campaign, and after the election of Barack Obama. People would ask what I thought about the possibility of or the successful election of a black President. My response was, and still is, quite simply, "I could not care less about the color of his skin, it is the policies of his administration that scare me".

This brings me to a point few, if any, have discussed, anywhere, or in any forum. A black President? Really, you think he is black? Yes, he has a black father; but he has a white mother. A very dear and close friend has a child with a black man. On the very rare occasion she discusses her child's race, she merely state "his father is black". Is it not more impressive that we have elected a President of mixed heritage? Is this not the best example of why America is The Great Melting Pot?

Does your race, sexual preference, religious beliefs, ethnicity or any other descriptor really matter? NO!! Just don't be an asshole, don't hurt people and don't hurt animals.

No comments: